A brief guide on what to look for in concrete spraying – from sprayed concrete specifications to the cost of spray concrete
What is sprayed concrete?
Before we explore the nitty gritty of concrete spraying as a service, let’s look at what sprayed concrete is as a substance. Sprayed concrete (also known as shotcrete or gunite) is exactly as it sounds – concrete that you can spray. Concrete spraying is usually completed using a hose-like appliance instead of pouring the material or hand-applying it, such as with traditional concrete application methods.
Now, because it is propelled from a hose at high force, it’s naturally more workable and versatile than traditional concrete. Though, it is produced using the same 3 ingredients as normal concrete – cement, sand or aggregates, and water.
There are two main types: wet and dry-sprayed concrete. Both of these are applied by qualified concrete repairs or concrete strengthening contractors. Continue reading our relevant blog below to learn the differences between wet and dry sprayed concrete repairs.
Common types of concrete spraying applications: is yours listed?
Concrete spraying is incredibly diverse and suits an abundance of commercial concrete projects. The possible applications of sprayed concrete include, but are not limited to:
- New build projects – delicate roofing structures such as domes and shell-types, strengthening walls, purpose-built structures like silos (used to store grains, coal, cement, wood chips, etc.)
- Strengthening & reinforcement – to reinforce structures and ensure they stand the test of time and survive corrosion, weathering, etc.
- Repair & rehabilitation – to repair manmade and natural damages like fire, weathering, corrosion, aging, exceeding load-bearing weight, and more.
- Protective coatings – used as fire protection and to support steel pipes.
- Free-formed structures(1) – such as rollercoasters, swimming, and leisure complexes, and architectural landscapes
- Underground structures like tunnels, pipelines, manholes, etc.
Eager to learn more about the uses of concrete spraying? Book your FREE feasibility survey today, our expert team will visit your site for free tomorrow.
Top properties of sprayed concrete
Sprayed concrete has so many great properties – it often trumps traditional methods. Let’s take a look:
- Concrete application of choice for most repairs experts
- High-strength (up to 30% stronger than pouring concrete)(3)
- Fluid during application
- Good bonding and adhesion
- Rapid application
- Reaches obscure places
- Thaw, heat, and fire-resistant
Sprayed concrete specifications: What contractors look for
Because sprayed concrete has so many different applications, your contractor will consider whether the specifications of the product meet the needs of your strengthening or repairs project, or whether the benefits lie with a traditional concrete application method instead. In the UK, the list of specifications (or essential criteria) for wet and dry-sprayed concrete is covered by European legislation; specifically, the European Federation of Producers and Applicators of Specialist Products for Structures (EFNARC). The EFNARC’s role(2) is to `raise the technical and professional standards` of the product, so you can rest assured knowing sprayed concrete is a credible alternative to hand-applied and poured concrete.
In layman’s terms, the European specification for sprayed concrete includes:
- Compressive strength
- Flexural strength
- Bond strength
- Energy absorption capacity
- Thickness of concrete
- Fibre content (of fibre-reinforced sprayed concrete)
How much does spray concrete cost?
As specialists in sprayed concrete services, we always recommend using a qualified contractor to complete the job. Getting it done right the first time will save you time and money. The cost of spray concrete varies widely depending on the scale, complexity, and nature of your project along with any additions like surface or cosmetic treatments. The cost of sprayed concrete depends on whether you’re being charged by metre or square foot, or the time of labour + material costs. If the latter is the case, sprayed concrete can be applied in up to half the time of poured or hand-applied, and will therefore be more cost-effective.
Eager to learn more about the cost of concrete spraying? Book your FREE cost analysis today, our expert team will visit your site for free tomorrow.
Sprayed concrete services near you
Our expert team offers a seamless sprayed concrete service to businesses in Yorkshire and the Humber. The type of sprayed concrete services we use entirely depends on the job at hand, and we will always discuss the options thoroughly with you during your free feasibility survey and cost analysis.
Continue reading about sprayed concrete solutions
Sprayed concrete services product page: https://humber.fibrwrap-ccuk.com/index.php/sprayed-concrete-services/
- Your guide to fire protection coatings for concrete
- Protecting buildings from fire: a guide to fireproofing concrete